A few pictures of a rather warm day in Colonial Williamsburg, the restored and rebuilt capital of the then British Colony of Virginia as it was in September 1781, just before the British Governor fled and the British were defeated by the American Allied Army at Yorktown. Above is the rebuilt (1934) but still splendid Governor's Palace.
This is the original Courthouse of the 18th century and we were happy to sit on benches in the relative cool to listen to the re-enactment of a trial - with members of the audience taking part!
Our next stop was at the armoury/magazine to see the best lines of weapons and stores.
A view from the armoury out to the Courthouse.
We visited a few authentic workshops and stores selling reproduction goods, traditionally made.
It was surprising to learn in the blacksmith's shop that there were often female apprentices to the trade - usually daughters of the blacksmith.
In the yard behind, the biggest clone oven I had ever seen - big enough to bake bread and other necessities for a small army - which is what it was for.
In the tin workshop we were intrigued to learn that even in the 18th century tin plate was imported from the UK, including tin from Cornwall.
At the far end of the Main Street stands the seat of government and justice - the Capitol building. The building also houses a higher court - the highest in colonial Virginia and the Governor's chair.
Upstairs elegant meeting rooms where the Declaration of Rights of the People of Virginia was drawn up and pored over.
The view from the center of the Capitol building down the street shows the buildings importance in the city.
Now back in the gardens of the Givernor's Palace, it is 4pm or so but still very sunny and more than 30 degrees which makes a shady seat very attractive!
The Governor's Pakace is one of the few air conditioned buildings so that was also a good option!