Thursday 20 February 2014

Saved by a Grackle!


This is the logo of the Women's Club of Greater Reston, which I joined recently and today attended my first meeting.  Everyone was very friendly and welcoming and the speaker on Shade Gardening in Virginia - with particular reference to plants and shrubs that deer are less likely to eat - was very helpful and interesting.

The meeting was held at Lake Anne which is quite a picturesque part of Reston - the lake was still partially frozen and quite photogenic but I went off to lunch with some of the other members of the club without taking any pictures.

Great lunch but I arrived home with no photos for the blog and was just wondering what I might do when we had a new visitor to the bird feeder.

We have been a bit overrun with starlings lately and some of the smaller birds have been put off.  However the newcomer was more than a match for them..




He is a Common Grackle - about the size of a magpie and quite similar in habit I think so maybe not a bird to encourage. However he was quite striking and in this instance I was pleased to see him!


Eventually a second one came along and then a third.. 



One rather persistent starling clung on to feed alongside its rather large cousins but most of them flew off, complaining loudly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.