Thursday 6 March 2014

Camouflage


Working at the kitchen sink this morning I caught sight, through the window, of a slight movement in the dead leaves under the fence.  Looking through the camera lens at full zoom I could see a bird, about the size of a small hen, tucked up and very still, very well camouflaged against the leaves and twigs around.  I looked through the book to try to identify him but as both his beak and legs were out of sight, it was not easy.


It was quite a surprise when he sat up a little and his beak was visible.  Further checking with the book revealed that he is an American Woodcock. 


Apparently these birds are well known in Spring for their mating dance and accompanying noise .  The most I saw of this one was a jaunty tilt of the tail feathers.


He then set about making good use of his long bill, plunging into the sodden earth to feed.

I watched him for so long that I was almost late for my second Pilates session.  My new instructor is very thorough and no muscle is left un-worked by the end of the session.

This evening we have been out to dinner in Reston with two of David's work contacts.  We went to an Italian restaurant, Il Fornaio and had a very good meal.


1 comment:

  1. Lovely birdy photos - he must have been so difficult to spot amongst the leaves.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.