Sunday 11 May 2014

Dollars and Dolls


At the Bargain Loft on Saturday I came across my first dollar coin.  They are uncommon and unpopular here because they are said to be too easy to confuse with a quarter (smaller, silver colour).  To me they make so much more sense than the dollar note...


The other problem with the dollar notes is that they are almost identical to the 5, 10 and 20 dollar notes, which is not helpful.

In terms of the exchange rate at present the dollar is certainly not on top as far as the pound is concerned - but it's a good time to come shopping in the US!


One of the things which happens at the Bargain Loft is that we all end up spotting things that we like and spending money when we are there.  This week I fell for this lovely Prairie Doll - a hand made replica of a doll which early settlers made for their daughters from scraps of cotton from bed linen and petticoat.  

I can't claim to have made it (who would believe me?) but it (she needs a name) will be waiting for Lauren when she arrives with James for a visit on Saturday.


1 comment:

  1. I hope it's not a surprise because I think she reads your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.