Saturday 16 August 2014

The Goldfinch


Walking along the road today from the bus stop back to Lauren's I heard a bird making quite a noise.  Looking down I saw a tiny fledgling on the broken branch of a rowan tree.  It was in quite a flap and when I held my phone near to take the rather poor picture, above, this is what happened..


It was a young goldfinch and seemed very hungry and strangely keen to stay close to me..


From my hand it hopped/flew onto my shoulder and under my hair.  I was unsure what to do, not wanting to leave it by the road, but mindful of the RSPB advice that a bird of this size would normally have a parent bird close by, even if not visible, I placed it into a bush by the pavement close to where I had first seen it.  Hopefully it will have been claimed by its parent and be safe.

I have never seen a baby goldfinch before but it was Lauren who pointed out the rather extraordinary coincidence when I unpacked my shopping, including a new book from WHSmith...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.