Sunday 18 October 2015

Bird Bell


A friend recently gave me this lovely bell made of bird seed.  I hung it up yesterday when I filled up the other feeders and a Carolina Wren was quick to come along to check it out and choose a few tasty morsels.

Of course it soon drew the attention of others..


I was reasonably confident that the squirrel would find it difficult to get at, although when we brought it in for the night (to avoid the raccoon stealing it), it was well nibbled and I had my suspicions, which were confirmed when we put it back out this morning.

I should have realized that these annoying but very agile creatures would not give up easily..


It has now been liberally dosed with chili pepper to deter the squirrels.  It doesn't seem to have put off the chickadees, tufted titmice and nuthatch, all of whom have visited this afternoon.

1 comment:

  1. It is very decorative. I hope you have trained the birds to peck at it evenly.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.