Monday 9 November 2015

Rail Journey


I had time to fully explore Platform 2 at Bath Spa station this afternoon as my train was cancelled and I had to wait half an hour for the next one.  Above is the view from one end of the platform looking back towards Beechen Cliff.


I decided to photograph the view from the other end of the platform too and this is looking towards Southgate.   The Christmas tree is up and ready!

Then a little further along the platform in the same direction - a view over the river and to the bus station - maybe a bus would have been the better option?


In the waiting room there is a poster with details of ticket prices from 1938 when a 'cheap return' ticket to London from Bath - available on certain weekdays and at weekends - was 22/- for first class and 14/8 for third class.


Also on display in the waiting room was this old photograph showing the front of the station and the Station Hotel.


I couldn't achieve the same angle without leaving the station but this is quite close, with the station on the right and the curved front of the Royal Hotel (as it now is) in the background.


The next station on my journey was Reading - a station that I did use on a regular basis whilst at University, but a few years have passed and it has changed a little..


I could still pick out the outline of the old building amongst the grandeur of the new.. but only just!

1 comment:

  1. The view from Bath Spa has changed somewhat since the days when I waited on there a lot. I waited for a long time on Reading station once but can't remember what it looked like!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.