Thursday 11 February 2016

Cream Tea


As I was expecting a visit on Tuesday afternoon from my second cousin who lives near Washington DC, I thought it would be fun to make a cream tea to celebrate our shared Cornish heritage.

I dismissed the idea of making 'splits' - a kind of sweet, soft bread roll that Gran used to make and decided to make scones.

I haven't done a great deal of baking here and my first batch was a disaster - thin and solid.  They went in the bin and I started again.  The problem was that I had not appreciated how much baking powder was needed to convert all-purpose flour to something close to self-raising flour.

My second batch (above) was slightly better but still had a slight graininess from the sugar, since caster sugar is not common here.

A further challenge was the cream and I had to substitute whipped 'heavy cream' for clotted since that is not available here except, mysteriously, in small glass bottles.

Anyway, tea in front of the fire and a catch up chat was good fun..


1 comment:

  1. It all looks very good and tasty. Interesting the difference in what is available in the way of ingredients. You must find it tricky making Victoria Sponge cakes without caster sugar!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.