Tuesday 3 May 2016

Paul Simon at the Fox Theatre


Last year when we were in Atlanta I did a tour of the extraordinary Fox Theatre.  


Built in 1929 in the atmospheric theatre tradition and used as a movie theatre and then a Shriner temple, it was saved from demolition and has now been fully restored as a busy venue for theatre and concerts.


I had thought that it would be good to see it in action and full of people and checked what was on this week. 


Hence this evening I found myself at the Fox Theatre with 4,500 others (mostly of similar age to me) for a concert by Paul Simon, the first one on his extensive tour of North America.


The venue has a bright blue ceiling complete with moving clouds and twinkling stars so that you could almost believe that you were outside.


It was difficult to photograph the stage when Paul Simon and his band were playing - it was a little way away!


Once the audience in the stalls were on their feet and the lights were on them it was easier to take a picture - although they did look like the images of the terracotta warriors in China.


It was a great concert featuring many old favourite numbers as well as newer material and it was a very appreciative audience and a truly magical place.


5 comments:

  1. Did you ask Paul Simon when he's coming in Reston? Lucky you! Beautiful Theater.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This tour includes two dates at Wolf Trap at the end of June...

      Delete
    2. I thought I was kidding but at Wolf Trap...that sound wonderful, I'll try to find someone to come with me! Thanks for that info!

      Delete
  2. Did you go on your own? You should have said and I would have come with you if you'd paid my air fare... Greet pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, all alone. But those around me were very friendly and as you see above he is playing at Wolf Trap (Vienna) at the end of June so you could come for that one if you like??

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.