Friday 21 April 2017

Bonsai at Longwood

 

One of the most amazing sections of the glasshouses at Longwood Gardens last weekend was the one dedicated to the Bonsai trees.

I think this was the first time that I have ever seen a Bonsai 'copse' like the one above, a number of Hornbeam trees.

 

The miniature leaves on this maple tree were exquisite.

 

I am not sure that I have ever seen a full size pomegranate tree, but this tiny one was complete with miniature flowers.

 

Some of the trees had been trained for over 100 years and the trees themselves could be much older as the training does not always begin when the tree is very young.

This Gingko tree had been trained since 1909..

 

Just beautiful but I don't think I would have either the patience or the vision to engage in Bonsai as a pastime! 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.