Saturday 22 August 2015

Castres


This morning we headed to the railway station in Toulouse to take a train to Castres, the little town in the Tarn where I spent a year as Assistante de Langue Anglais at a secondary school.


The train was considerably more plush than those I remember from 1976/77 (unsurprisingly) but the countryside and many of the railway buildings had changed very little..




It is hard to see but this is a field of sunflowers.




Once in Castres we took a free bus which dropped us close to the school where I worked.  It was always a rather forbidding place and it really hadn't changed..




We walked into the historic centre of Castres which had of course changed very little -  just a few photos ..












We also walked out along the Avenue Charles de Gaulle to the house where I lodged when I first arrived..


And the house where I later had a little studio flat..



As well as a cafe where I used to meet friends..


It was a strange experience to see how little many of the buildings had changed.


1 comment:

  1. Wow! A real trip down memory lane. I remember that door in Avenue Charles De Gaulle. I can picture you now in that rather jazzy dressing gown with frizzy hair and listening to Lou Reed. It seems like yesterday!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.