Tuesday 14 October 2014

Home Baking


All of you who just fell off your chairs laughing at the idea that I might have baked something from scratch can just get right back up!!

Today, as my friend Claire was due to arrive this afternoon from the UK (via Amsterdam) in time for tea, I decided to make flapjack - on the basis that I would have all the ingredients to hand.  Well almost - no golden syrup - so I used maple syrup, substituted some shredded coconut for some of the sugar and some sunflower seeds for some of the oats and hoped for the best.

It spilled over the tin very slightly and was a bubbling mass when it came out of the oven but I cut it up as the recipe said and although a few bits ended up looking like high calorie granola, the rest set into bars and was well received.

Everything here at the moment is pumpkin and so I thought I would ask a friend for the recipe for a 'Pumpkin Pie Crunch' which she brought to the last Women's Club meeting.  Tonight I received it....


Pumpkin Pie Crunch
Ingredients:
1 pkg Duncan Hines moist deluxe yellow cake mix ( or Duncan Hines deluxe butter recipe golden cake mix)
1lrg (29oz) solid pack pumpkin
1 can (12 oz) evaporated milk
4 eggs
1 1/2 cups sugar
4 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped pecans

1 cup butter or margarine, melted

Whipped topping

Method:
1.  Preheat oven to 350'. Grease bottom of 13 x 9 x 2 inch pan
2.  Combine pumpkin, evaporated milk, eggs, sugar, pumpkin pie spice and salt in lrg bowl.  Pour  
   Into pan.  Sprinkle dry cake mix evenly over pumpkin mixture.  Top with pecans.  Drizzle with                      melted butter.  Bake for 50/55 minutes or until golden brown.  Cool completely.  Serve with whipped topping.  Refrigerate leftover.
This is more than just a recipe, it is going to require detailed exploration of the baking section of the supermarket - and it should feed the whole street (29oz solid pack pumpkin??)

I will report back when I have pinned down all the ingredients..

1 comment:

  1. Lovely photo's Jules! The plants at the Botty Gardens look fantastic. Hope Clare's enjoying her visit as much as we did. Also hope you sang to her when she arrived - your flapjack picture gave us the cue for 'If I'd known you were coming, I'd have baked a cake' etc. Always thought this is an American standard, but might be wrong. Mum used to sing it. Keep taking the photo's. Speak soon
    Ax

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.